$15!? $15 for that little expensive bag of all-natural organic trail mix that will last 2 days? Not quite affordable for the average folk to be adding to their already high grocery bills. But there may be some solutions… buy in bulk and DIY!
A great way to save money on anything is buying it in bulk. Especially with nuts and dried fruits because they do not go bad easily. Making your own trail mix is great because you know exactly what you are putting into your snack (it’s not getting pumped with preservatives or artificial flavour etc.). Since you are buying the ingredients in bulk you will have a large supply that will last a long time, and ultimately will be saving money and time (won’t have to haul out to the grocery store). And you will always be able to put whatever you want in it and customize your own snack!
DIY Time: 1) Brainstorm on paper just exactly what it is you want in your trail-mix (look at the lists below for ideas). Trail-mix usually has good ratios of nuts, dried fruit and chocolate so keep that in mind. Make a list of ingredients needed.
2) Once you have your list, go purchase the ingredients (buy in bulk, organic and unsalted are the best!).
3) After you have purchased all your ingredients, start determining the ratios. Example: 2 cups cashews, 1 cup walnuts, 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks, 1/2 cup dried cranberries with a dash of sea salt.
4) Get a medium to large size bowl out. Measure out all your different ingredients (ratios) and add to bowl.
5) Toss mix with hands or spoon and add a little sprinkle of salt and voila! Trail-mix for everyone!
6) Put in container or bag to keep trail-mix fresh and take portions as needed.
Here are some lists of ingredients that work great in trail-mix.
– Brazil Nuts
– Pumpkin seeds
– Sunflower seeds
– Macadamia nuts
– Roasted soybeans
Dried Fruits and other:
– Shredded Coconut
– Dark chocolate pieces
Tell me your favorite trail-mix ideas and if you have any tips on how to make this article better! Thanks!